Author Topic: [Proofreader] MisoClementine  (Read 141 times)

MisoClementine

• Trainee
    • View Profile
[Proofreader] MisoClementine
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Hi! I've always been interested in doing translating or proofreading work for mangas so I am super excited to try this out! ^^

Country/Timezone: Canada (Pacific Time UTC -8:00 / -7:00)

What projects would you like to PR?:
I don't have a preference actually. I enjoy shoujo, shounen, adventure, cooking, horror, fantasy, and pretty much most genres<3
Do you have any experience?:
I have a BA in Communications and a minor in Linguistics. I have experience in proofreading essays and correcting English homework, but not mangas. I currently work at a Math and Reading Centre for children so I am confident in my abilities.

Honestly, I am interested in most of these positions. I actually had trouble deciding on a position! I'm also interested in doing Chinese translation as well! However, if you don't have any openings for that, I'm cool with proofreading too :) I like and enjoy both!<3 Cleaner and Typesetter seems fun to do as well (I watched some of Roze's youtube tutorials), but I don't have PhotoShop :( If somebody is willing to give me some tips or anything on setting it up, I'm willing to learn and try it out! Thank you!

I READ THE RULES!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:46 PM by MisoClementine »

Roze

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [Proofreader] MisoClementine
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Hi there!

Our proofreader trainer will review your test shortly. Currently we are accepting Chinese proofreaders but the test is corrupted so it hasn't been re-done. I will consult with our chinese translator trainer and see what she would like you to do as a test.

In the mean time here's how to get photoshop CS6:

Just follow the instructions in the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?o9jepf1q727nqy5

and since photoshop came out with PS CC they don't have CS6 links directly on their site anymore. So follow the instructions on this site: http://www.softwarevoucher.com/photoshop-cs6-extended-trial-download-link/
To download the free trial.

Video tutorial on how to install the DLL File: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_roN90ysH4

MisoClementine

• Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Hi Roze!

Thank you for replying and helping me out!! I got it working and now I'm learning how to clean pages! Thank you so much<3 :bow: :X-D:

chiisai-hime

• Proofreader
    • View Profile
    • Chiiamon Translations
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Hi MisoClementine,

Thanks for applying! I'm Chii, the PR and CH TL trainer. Is there a nickname you'd like to be addressed with or do you prefer MisoClementine as above?

You did pretty well on the first two sections and almost good enough for a pass on the script section. I'd like to see that you understand feedback and can apply it before I fully pass you though.

-The biggest thing you missed grammar-wise is subject-pronoun agreement across multiple lines. Of course, make sure you're correcting grammar for each line, but also see that it carries over to the next part. (ie clothes & it).
-You've gotten most of the punctuation in the guidelines down, but we only use em dashes at the end of a sentence when the character is getting interrupted or cut off abruptly. No normal dashes at the end either. If there's nobody interjecting, use ellipses or other punctuation.
-Triple check for spelling, punctuation and verb conjugation on all scripts!
-Especially since you can read the raws, I'd like you to choose more natural wording and phrasing as well as correct anything that was off. Stylistically, these characters are high school kids so I encourage you think about how modern kids talk when rephrasing.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please post your revised script here when you're done.

MisoClementine

• Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Hi chiisai-hime,

Thanks for taking your time looking over my test! I changed some of the script section and tried to make it more natural sounding like how high-school kids talk. Hopefully it's a bit better now. If I still have mistakes or anything, please feel free to correct me or give me any suggestions!

Umm, you can call me Clem or Miso! Or if you have another nickname for me, I'm cool with that too!

Thank you!

:bow:

chiisai-hime

• Proofreader
    • View Profile
    • Chiiamon Translations
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:41 AM »
Much better! You pass :)

It flows a lot better now that you've rephrased to high school speak. Good to see you can implement my feedback. Some of the harder, more abstract rewords will come with more experience  (ie wordy things like 'It sure is not easy stopping you' -> 'You sure are persistent' or 'I hate selfish people who do whatever they want' -> 'I hate people who use underhanded methods').

We'll continue discussions at your training thread below:
http://forum.decadencescans.com/index.php?topic=392.0
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:56 AM by chiisai-hime »